Sunday 20 November 2011

THE FEAR OF MAKING MISTAKES


It is often said that peoples greatest enemy is fear… the fear of inadequacy and the fear of rejection may be some of the reasons why. However, fear is a thought in the mind, which means that people who are fearful are actually afraid of their own thoughts.

For me, when I start worrying about the prospect of failure, it is really me not wanting to seem a failure to the people I am close to/look up to.

Failure that no one is aware of can seem much easier to deal with. This is probably true for most of us; to buckle and fall flat on your face with no witness is much easier to deal with than a crowd of spectators witnessing your fall.

When we start worrying about other people’s judgments, of our failure; suddenly a blunder seems less like a bad judgment but more like an exposure of how inadequate we are.

The fear of being judged can stop us branching out to explore new opportunities. If we can just accept that our mistakes don’t define us, they can help us gain a greater sense of meaning and connection with people.

It becomes easier to help and understand people who have experienced the same failures in life that you have. You are now able to give authentic help and support them, since you have been there before. You become genuine, humble and more able to forgive.

It is true to say that there are some mistakes we have made in the past.  If we had a chance to re live that time again, we would definitely avoid doing the mistake. The past has gone, but what we can do is make choices based on our past experiences and knowledge that we have now.

The best way to live, I feel is do the things we want to do irrespective of what people may say or see. Doing this consequently may risk being seen as inadequate and yes people might form an opinion of you. But better to live than live a life full of regrets …. I wish I had ……I would have…..I should have… I could have….

We only have one life, take a chance, breath and live!!!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Lola, Some useful and great stuff on here.. I enjoyed reading it. I hope u find time to make an archive for 2012! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amrita, how's it going? Glad you enjoyed the articles... I've taken the step and started my 2012 archive Topic: procrastination!! :)

    ReplyDelete